Obesity and Nutrition – The Fundamentals
Obesity is now recognised as a widespread nutritional disorder affecting millions of adults living in developed countries around the world. There is an urgent need to address this problem because of the huge increase in healthcare costs linked with medical conditions and diseases associated with obesity.
This short course has been developed for anyone seeking basic information and guidance on the causes and effects of obesity. It provides information that is useful to people who want to lose weight and for those who are actively involved in helping others manage obesity in a professional role or at home in a domestic setting.
The course is broken down in to 2 bite-sized units with the following titles:
- An Introduction to Obesity and Nutrition
- Managing Obesity and Making Healthy Informed Choices
On completion of this course learners will be able to:
- Explain what nutrients are and the role they play in our diet
- Apply the principles of energy balance
- Use the guidance provided by the 'Eatwell Guide' to plan a well-balanced diet
- Apply the 'Eight Tips to Eating Well' when planning a well-balanced diet
- Describe the consequences of obesity and associated health conditions
- Explain the nutritional needs of an adult human being
- Outline the benefits of regular exercise for managing obesity