Supporting People with Asperger's Syndrome
This e-learning course defines Asperger's Syndrome, examines how it fits into the autism spectrum and explains how it affects the way people with Asperger's Syndrome think and behave. The course explores common difficulties that people with the condition experience, looking at issues of communication and memory. It looks at techniques for helping people cope with day-to-day challenges caring for someone with the condition. It is useful for professional carers as well as family members.
The course is broken down in to 3 bite-sized units with the following titles:
- What is Asperger's?
- Asperger's and Social Interaction
- Characteristics of Autism and Providing Support
On completion of this course learners will be able to:
- Define Autism and Asperger's Syndrome
- Identify possible causes of the condition
- Provide an outline of the theory behind autism spectrum conditions
- Explain why communicating can be problematic for some people within the autism spectrum
- Suggest possible solutions to overcome a person's memory problems or sensory sensitivity
- Identify the legislation in place to help people with disabilities
- Explain what a person-centred approach is and identify its benefits
... and lots more